Since 1961, Texas Instruments has had a multi-step guideline that it wants employees to use to decide whether or not a contemplated decision is ethical. One version:
- Is the action legal?
- Does it comply with our values?
- If you do it, will you feel bad?
- How will it look in the newspaper?
- If you know it’s wrong, don’t do it!
- If you’re not sure, ask.
- Keep asking until you get an answer.
Idea for Impact: Use such decision-making models for clear direction about ethical behavior when the temptation to behave unethically is strongest.